Ahhhh the holiday season! The aroma that envelopes your kitchen during all the holiday baking is intoxicating. This year I decided to start a new tradition…an “Annual Baking Frenzy!” Traditions have to start someplace and I decided that I wanted to have an annual baking day for the girls in the family to get together and spend some time together. After all, Christmas music, Christmas cocktails, laughs and sweets – how can you go wrong?!
So we each found a favorite recipe, brought along the ingredients, mixed up a cocktail, toasted to our cookies and began!
I wanted to share the recipe I used this year – I tend to favor the old recipes handed down generation to generation. I will warn you this one can get messy – but the results are amazing!
- 2 ½ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. butter
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 egg yolk (reserve egg white)
- 1 t. vanilla
- Cinnamon/sugar mix
- Place flour on the counter, add softened butter cut up, sugar and then form a center to place the egg yolk and vanilla in.
- Work into a smooth dough with your hands. Shape into two, long log-shaped rolls approximately 2” in diameter.
- Whisk egg white and brush along outside of rolls.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mix on outside of dough until completely covered.
- Cut into ¼” slices and cover in cinnamon and sugar, place on baking pan.
- Bake at 375 for approximately 10 – 12 minutes.
I am so excited about this new tradition. With the busy holiday season sometimes trying to get the baking done can seem like a chore, but this way you are enjoying time with those you love and really during the holiday season we need to appreciate all of our blessings and family and friends are a true treasure!
Make today a great day!